The camp was established during the Otago goldrush in the 1860’s, with an influx of Chinese miners and traders hoping to find prosperity. At its peak in the late 1880’s the camp was home to 120 residents including 30-40 families, mostly of mixed marriages between Chinese men and European women. 

Today the restoration of the camp has begun in earnest. Significant projects have been completed and others are almost completed such as the restoration of the Joss House due for completion in 2018. Other projects planned include the restoration of the hotel and stables and the construction of a visitor centre and carpark.

Sign up to our e-news

* indicates required