Take yourself on a journey of discovery through rolling green farmland, following the mighty Clutha River.
The Clutha Gold Trail, a 73 kilometre easy-grade trail is open all year round. You can begin or finish the trail at Lake Roxburgh Village, or Lawrence.
The trail can be cycled in one day, however we recommend planning two to five days on the trail to allow for refreshment breaks, photo opportunities, and off trail activities.
- Commissioner's Flat to Roxburgh
- Follow the banks of the fast flowing, turquoise waters of the Clutha River
- There's a number of great eateries for a bite to eat, and explore Roxburgh's quirky shops
- Roxburgh to Millers Flat
- Keep an eye out for the iconic hillside rock formations
- Enjoy a break and a swim at Pinders Pond - a popular picnic spot
- Take a rest stop at Faigan's Cafe in Millers Flat, and visit the historic Bakehouse
- Millers Flat to Beaumont
- Take the short walk to the historic Horseshoe Bend suspension bridge
- Visit the famed Lonely Graves
- Feeling thirsty? Take a trip over the Beaumont Bridge to the local pub - Beaumont Hotel
- Beaumont to Lawrence
- Ride through Big Hill Tunnel - remember to bring a torch or headlight for your bike
- Check out the historic Chinese Gold Camp as you enter into Lawrence
Finish your ride in the lovely town of Lawrence, where one of the first Otago's gold rushes took place, is full of gold mining history. Take a short journey out to Gabriels Gully, and take the interpretive walk through the historic gold mining area.
Roxburgh Gorge Trail
To extend your ride, our sister trail 'Roxburgh Gorge Trail' will take you from Alexandra through to Lake Roxburgh Village - it is as easy as crossing the Roxburgh Hydro Dam.
Latest News - Extension of the Clutha Gold Trail
In 2019, it was announced that the Clutha Gold Trail received funding through the Provincial Growth Fund to extend the trail from Lawrence through to Lake Waihola via Milton - watch this space!
For more information
For everything you need to know about the Clutha Gold Trail - visit the Official Website www.cluthagold.co.nz