One of Otago's lesser known historic goldfields, the Waipori district once boasted a thriving goldmining industry and a busy township. This township was established in 1861 after gold was discovered in Lammerlaw Creek and home to more than 4,000 people.

Today, the site of the old Waipori Township and most of the old gold workings lies beneath the surface of Lake Mahinerangi.

The Waipori Cemetery has been in use since the early days of the town establishment and is still a functioning burial ground.

Top