The Tuapeka Mouth Ferry opened in 1896. This public punt which simply operates by the flow of the Clutha River is the last of its kind in New Zealand. It is open daily from 10am - 2pm. Check their Facebook Page for updates.
The mighty Clutha river is the largest by volume in New Zealand and the second longest as well as the fastest. It is that quick, it is on a par with World giants like the Amazon River.
At the height of one of The World’s largest ever gold rushes in the early 1860’s, the population of Lawrence and Tuapeka was nearly 12,000, double that of Dunedin at the time. In the first year alone nearly 500 thousand ounces of gold was exported from the Otago Gold Rush.
There are only two sets of traffic lights in Clutha with one at Kaitangata’s banana bridge to Inch Clutha and the other at the on way Beaumont Bridge.
Lawrence, Otago is home to the one of the most significant Chinese historic sites in New Zealand, where a camp was built to house the migrant miners.
You can walk out across white sand at low tide to stunning Moturata Island off Taieri Mouth, however it can be dangerous with fast rising tides.
The town of Lawrence is believed to be the birthplace of the very first bike in New Zealand built by a blacksmith back in 1894.
Purakaunui Falls located near Owaka are some of the most photographed waterfalls in The World. They have even been featured on a postage stamp.
Lake Waihola is the most inland tidal lake in New Zealand and is surrounded by wetlands of international importance.
Lawrence is where the music for New Zealand’s National Anthem was composed. The place is now aptly called Anthem House.
The Clutha District gets less rainfall than Christchurch, Wellington or Auckland.
The Gold Barons in the 1860’s used Lake Waihola as a shortcut to get to the goldfields. They travelled on a paddle steamer called "the Betsy Douglas".
Keep up to date with latest Clutha information on our new app